Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A crocheter who loves books.....

The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 4 is one of the books I got over Christmas. Now, I have a few stitch dictionary books already...but it is always nice to add another one to the collection, right? "Crochet is the hottest trend in crafting today. This inspiring fourth volume from the best selling stitchionary series includes chapters on many different crochet techniques: basics, geometrics, color, lace, edgings, and embellishments." What I really like about this book, is all of the stitches have beautiful photos taken of them that are crisp and clear. Each stitch has written and charted directions. The charts are drawn in color similar to the swatch example on the given stitch. It is also a great source for some crochet inspiration if needed.

This reference is coming in handy for me right now. I am currently working one one of my crochet resolutions for 2008. Making something for charity.
Crochetville is having a CAL for Warm up America. Caron is sponsoring a contest for making 7" x 9" crochet or knit sections (rectangles) for Warm Up America. It's called the Soften the World Simply Soft Sweepstakes. There are two categories, individuals and groups. Individuals can submit a single rectangle to win $25 in Simply Soft yarn (20 winners chosen randomly). In the group category, the group that submits the most rectangles wins a check for $300 for their group. All rectangles must be made with Simply Soft yarn and will be donated to Warm Up America. So, I have been using my stitchionary as a guide for my rectangles. So far, Crochetville has collected 235 squares. And so far, I have crocheted ONE! I am getting there. If you are interested more about the contest or would like to participate, click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not been around a lot lately but thanks for keeping up with me.

Needles said...

I've looked at these a lot. Ok, its close to obsessive. I have the two Harmony guides that are crochet stitches and find I do use them a lot. I may have to become more active in my pursuits, than simple obsession.

What stitch did you use for your square?

Needles said...

I love the new blog template!